- Title: "No place for hate" in NZ: Christchurch remembrance service draws thousands
- Date: 29th March 2019
- Summary: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND (MARCH 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE DURING REMEMBRANCE SERVICE
- Embargoed: 12th April 2019 07:44
- Keywords: remembrance Christchuch New Zealand service Christchurch shooting mass shooting mosque New Zealand shooting national remembrance service
- Location: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- City: CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND
- Country: New Zealand
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002A82O75Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of people gathered in Hagley Park in Christchurch on Friday (March 29) to attend a remembrance service near the Al Noor mosque, where most of the 50 people were killed in mass shooting by a suspected white supremacist two weeks ago.
"I think it's really important to stay strong and show that we're all together in this," said one attendee. "It is important to show the world there's no place for hate in New Zealand," said another.
They were joined by New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and dozens of representatives of governments from around the world for the service, which included Maori songs of peace and a call to prayer.
The massacre in Christchurch was carried out by a lone gunman at two mosques during Friday prayers. The gunman has been charged with one count of murder and is likely to face more charges when he reappears in court next Friday (April 5).
(Production: Jorge Silva, Jill Gralow)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.