- Title: SOCCER-SCHALKE/DRAXLER Draxler leaves Schalke for Wolfsburg in record deal
- Date: 31st August 2015
- Summary: DRAXLER ON DISPLAY SCREEN OF CAMERA
- Embargoed: 15th September 2015 13:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAB22RZ4SZ77ZFB07DJYWV539PJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany international Julian Draxler has left his home club Schalke 04 after 14 years to join VfL Wolfsburg on a five-year contract in a record transfer for the Ruhr valley club, Schalke sports director Horst Heldt said on Monday (August 31).
The talented 21-year-old World Cup winner became Schalke's biggest transfer ever in a deal worth 35 million euros, according to media reports.
The midfielder joined Schalke's youth team as a boy in 2001 and made his debut as a 17-year-old in 2011, playing 119 Bundesliga games and scoring 18 goals.
Wolfsburg, who have plenty of cash after selling Kevin De Bruyne for a reported 75 million euros to Manchester City and Ivan Perisic to Inter Milan for another 20 million, have also brought in central defender Dante from Bayern Munich as they prepare for the Champions League group stage.
The Wolves were Bundesliga runners-up last season and won the German Cup.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.