- Title: MUSIC-DION Celine Dion resumes her Las Vegas residency after a year hiatus
- Date: 28th August 2015
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF DION AND RENE ANGELIL AT 2007 OSCARS
- Embargoed: 12th September 2015 13:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA8HDTGVK5LB7M54Q8K7JQPAWO1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Celine Dion resumed her popular Las Vegas residency on Thursday (August 27), a year after putting her career on hold citing health and family issues.
The award-winning Canadian singer received numerous standing ovations during her first night back at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace.
Dion first began performing in Las Vegas in 2003, but returning to the stage was, according to the singer, an emotional time. "It feels scary, amazing. I'm anticipating it. I'm happy for me, I'm happy for my fans, but I'm especially happy for Rene, my husband, who really wanted me to start back," she said.
Her husband Rene Angelil has had heart and cancer-related issues since the early nineties. Dion herself had fought an illness that has caused inflammation in her throat muscles when she cancelled her performances in both Las Vegas and Asia in August 2014.
The Canadian-born singer said at the time it had been very difficult and stressful for the couple as they try to fight illness and juggle their show business schedule with raising three young children.
However, Dion now feels that her returning to performing is healthy for her relationship, saying, "It helped Rene knowing that my passion would still exist, that it's just a pause, it's not an end, it's just a new beginning."
She added, "I was born to do what I do and I still want to do it and I will."
Tickets for her performances are available until January 2016.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None