- Title: Christian worshippers in Bethlehem welcome Holy fire
- Date: 27th April 2019
- Summary: VIEW OF RELIGIOUS FLAGS HANGING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE HOLDING CROSSES AND MARCHING IN CELEBRATION VARIOUS OF WORSHIPPERS LIGHTING THEIR CANDLES PEOPLE MARCHING TOWARDS CHURCH OF NATIVITY
- Embargoed: 11th May 2019 15:59
- Keywords: Holy Fire Easter Palestinian Christians Bethlehem Holy Saturday West Bank
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003AC8JAKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Palestinian Christian worshippers on Saturday (April 27) celebrated Easter's Holy Fire ceremony in the West Bank city of Bethlehem.
The Holy Fire is considered a miracle and occurs every year on Holy Saturday, the day preceding Easter Sunday.
Hundreds of worshippers packed the narrow streets of Bethlehem, the believed birthplace of Jesus waiting for the Holy Fire torch to arrive from Jerusalem.
Around 2 pm, local time, a sunbeam is believed to shine through the window in the ceiling of the church of Holy Sepulcher and light a lamp placed in the tomb.
An olive lamp lit by the Holy Fire is transferred soon after the ceremony to Bethlehem, where hundreds of Palestinian Christian worshippers and scouts are annually gathered.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None