- Title: Multiple explosions rock Gaza-Israel border area
- Date: 4th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA-ISRAEL BORDER AREA AS SEEN FROM ISRAEL (MAY 4, 2019) (REUTERS) TWO EXPLOSIONS SEEN IN DISTANCE / TWO FURTHER EXPLOSIONS FOUR PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING (AUDIO OF FOUR EXPLOSIONS) / THREE FURTHER EXPLOSIONS FOLLOW SMOKE RISING FROM SITE OF IMPACT TRAILS OF SMOKE IN SKY (AUDIO OF LOUD BANGS) / SMOKE OVER GAZA TWO CLOUDS OF SMOKE HANGING IN SKY (AUDIO OF LOUD BANG) TRAILS OF SMOKE OVER GAZA CHILDREN STANDING AROUND SMOKE RISING (AUDIO OF LOUD BANGS) / TWO TRAILS OF SMOKE IN SKY / PILLAR OF SMOKE IN DISTANCE MAN POINTING TOWARD SMOKE, CHILDREN LOOKING GAZA TWO OBJECTS MOVING ACROSS THE SKY GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 4, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF LARGE PLUMES OF BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM CITY
- Embargoed: 18th May 2019 14:58
- Keywords: Hamas Israeli army Israel strikes rockets Gaza border iron dome barrage explosions smoke
- Location: GAZA-ISRAEL BORDER AREA AS SEEN FROM ISRAEL / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA-ISRAEL BORDER AREA AS SEEN FROM ISRAEL / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADHHY6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Multiple explosions erupted in the border area between Israel and Gaza on Saturday (May 4), after Gaza militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel, drawing a wave of Israeli air strikes that killed one Palestinian gunman, according to a pro-Hamas group.
Israel hit Gaza with air strikes and tank fire after Palestinian militants fired about 150 rockets toward Israeli cities and villages.
Several large explosions could be seen across the border area between Gaza and Israel as trails of smoke criss-crossed the sky above.
The Israeli military said its forces had carried out attacks against more than 30 targets belonging to Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group.
The Gaza Health Ministry said six Palestinians were wounded. Residents identified two of them as militants.
The hostilities began on Friday (May 3), when two Israeli soldiers were wounded by Gaza gunfire near the border. A retaliatory Israeli air strike killed two militants from the Islamist Hamas group that governs Gaza. Two other Palestinians protesting near the frontier were also killed by Israeli forces.
The flare-up, which prompted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to convene his security council, comes days before Muslims begin the holy month of Ramadan and Israelis celebrate Independence Day.
(Production: Ran Tzabar, Mohammad Shana, Abed Shana, Kristian Brunse, George Negas)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None