- Title: Explosions across Gaza City skyline
- Date: 4th May 2019
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 4, 2019) (REUTERS) THICK SMOKE RISING FROM GAZA CITY / MULTIPLE EXPLOSIONS SEEN ACROSS SKYLINE, FOLLOWED BY PLUMES OF SMOKE VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING FROM GAZA CITY
- Embargoed: 18th May 2019 12:24
- Keywords: Gaza-Israel border crossborder hostilities Gaza Israel explosions air strikes Hamas
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ADHHU87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Gaza militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel on Saturday (May 4) and an Israeli air strike killed one Palestinian gunman as hostilities flared across the border for a second day.
The escalation began on Friday (May 3), when two Israeli soldiers were wounded by Gaza gunfire near the border. A retaliatory Israeli air strike killed two militants from the Islamist Hamas group that governs Gaza. Two other Palestinians protesting near the frontier were also killed by Israeli forces.
On Saturday Israel hit Gaza with air strikes and tank fire after Palestinian militants fired more than 90 rockets toward Israel. The Israeli military said it had targeted rocket launchers and Hamas posts.
The flare-up, which prompted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to convene his security council, comes days before Muslims begin the holy month of Ramadan and Israelis celebrate Independence Day.
(Production: Mohammad Shana, Eileen Hsieh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None