- Title: First female referee to officiate Super Cup not afraid of intense spotlight
- Date: 13th August 2019
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (AUGUST 13, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) REFEREE, STEPHANIE FRAPPART, SAYING: (SOUNDBITE BEGINS WITH FRAPPART SPEAKING WITH MANUEL NICOLOSI) "I think there is not a lot of difference because football is the same. Only teams play differently but as a man and a woman that we cannot referee the same game between women and men. So for me it's the same because refereeing is the same so football is the same, it's the same rules, so I will do the same as in women leagues."
- Embargoed: 27th August 2019 14:35
- Keywords: UEFA Super Cup Liverpool Chelsea Frappart female official Stephanie Frappart
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY / VARIOUS, FRANCE
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY / VARIOUS, FRANCE
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001AS1XB9B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Stephanie Frappart said she will prove that female officials are as competent as their male counterparts when she becomes the first woman to referee a major UEFA competition final when Liverpool face Chelsea in the Super Cup on Wednesday (August 14).
Frappart, 35, will be assisted by her French compatriot Manuela Nicolosi and Ireland's Michelle O'Neill.
The trio have worked together at bigger matches - they were in charge of this year's women's World Cup final in France - but there is no doubt they will be under intense focus at Istanbul's Besiktas Park.
Asked if she was afraid of being "double criticised" for any mistakes made, Frappart said it was time for female referees to show they are as good as the men.
"We have to prove ourselves technically and physically that we are the same as the men. We are not afraid about (wrong decisions). We are ready," she told a news conference.
Frappart, who in April became the first female referee in France's Ligue 1, also dismissed the idea that it was more difficult to officiate a men's game.
"I think there is not a lot difference because football is the same. It's the same rules so I will do the same as the women's game," she added.
The Super Cup is an annual match played between the winners of the Champions League and the Europa League. Liverpool beat Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League final last season while Chelsea defeated Arsenal in the Europa League final.
Fourth official and Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir supported the trio, saying: "They are brave, they have courage, they don't hesitate to give unpopular decisions - you will see tomorrow."
(Production: Mehmet Caliskan, Yusuf Gezer, Tim Hart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None