- Title: Hospital patient numbers soar as heatwave grips Kosovo
- Date: 13th August 2019
- Summary: PRISTINA, KOSOVO (AUGUST 13, 2019) (REUTERS) AMBULANCE PARKED IN STREET WOMAN ESCORTING HER SON TO AMBULANCE FOR HEALTH CHECK MEDICAL STAFF ATTENDING TO WOMAN AND HER SON SITTING IN AMBULANCE VARIOUS OF NURSE MEASURING PATIENT'S BLOOD PRESSURE AMBULANCE PARKED IN STREET, ELDERLY PEOPLE SITTING ON BENCH IN SHADE PEOPLE IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL CENTRE, WAITING TO BE SEEN BY DOCTORS MAN LYING IN BED HEAD OF PRISTINA'S EMERGENCY CENTRE, BARS LENIN, TENDING TO MAN LYING IN BED HEART RATE MONITOR (SOUNDBITE) (Albanian) HEAD OF PRISTINA'S EMERGENCY CENTRE, BASRI LENJANI, SAYING: "The emergency clinic has marked the highest number of people who received medical help. Between the period of January to July 2019 some 50,000 people required emergency medical treatments. Compared to the last year, we have 50% more cases." PEOPLE WALKING IN CORRIDOR OF EMERGENCY CENTRE MAN LYING ON BED DOCTORS PROCESSING PATIENTS (SOUNDBITE) (Albanian) HEAD OF PRISTINA'S EMERGENCY CENTRE, BASRI LENJANI, SAYING: "The emergency centres nation-wide are overloaded with patients who are seeking emergency medical attention because of the high temperatures." MITROVICA, KOSOVO (AUGUST 13, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COOLING OFF IN SWIMMING POOL CHILDREN FLOATING ON RUBBER RINGS IN POOL BRIDGE OVER IBER RIVER PEOPLE WALKING ACROSS BRIDGE (SOUNDBITE) (Albanian) 74-YEAR-OLD FORMER SOCCER COACH, REXHEP XHAKA, SAYING: "The heat is bothering me, my health is not that good. I would recommend those who are not in good health not to go out when it is too hot." (SOUNDBITE) (Albanian) 64-YEAR-OLD LAWYER, ELMAZE XHAKA, SAYING: "Today I went for a walk with my husband and my daughter, we prefer to stay out until 10:00 to enjoy the freshness of the river Iber here. Otherwise we have to stay indoors from 10:00 to 17:00 to avoid sun and heat. We are staying inside the house as it is very hot, especially this year it (the temperature) was too much." PEOPLE SITTING BY RIVER TO COOL DOWN BOYS FEEDING BIRDS MEN COOLING OFF IN RIVER SHIRTLESS MAN GETTING ON BICYCLE AND RIDING OFF
- Embargoed: 27th August 2019 14:30
- Keywords: heatwave Kosovo heatwave hot weather weather Balkan heatwave people seek medical help in heatwave
- Location: PRISTINA AND MITROVICA, KOSOVO
- City: PRISTINA AND MITROVICA, KOSOVO
- Country: Kosovo
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001AS1X2K9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:As summer temperatures soar in Kosovo, so has the number of people seeking medical attention.
According to Pristina's Emergency Centre, the number of people seeking treatment at their clinic has doubled in 2019, partially down to extremely high temperatures which have gripped the region.
Head of the Emergency Centre, Basri Lenjani said on Tuesday (August 13) that clinics across the country are overloaded with patients suffering from heat-related symptoms.
The centre has deployed mobile emergency vehicles across Pristina to help those struggling in the heat.
Kosovo's Hydrometeorological Institute said they expect Tuesday's temperatures to exceed 38 degrees Celsius. They forecast for temperatures to drop by the end of the week
The heatwave that hit Western Europe in July and smashed weather records has moved to the Balkans. In some parts the temperatures are forecasted to go above 40 degrees Celsius on Tuesday.
(Production: Bardh Krasniqi, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None