- Title: Police, protesters clash at Hong Kong airport
- Date: 13th August 2019
- Summary: POLICE OFFICERS USING SHIELDS TO BLOCK ITEMS BEING THROWN AT THEM POLICE VANS ARRIVING AT AIRPORT POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE BUILDING IN RIOT GEAR PROTESTERS SPEAKING BEHIND BARRICADE OF AIRPORT TROLLIES PROTESTERS BEHIND BARRICADE HOLDING SIGN SAYING: Stop police violence PROTESTER DRUMMING ON LUGGAGE TROLLIES
- Embargoed: 27th August 2019 18:15
- Keywords: Hong Kong Hong Kong airport riot police China protesters clashes
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003AS1YGCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police and protesters clashed at Hong Kong's international airport on Tuesday (August 13, 2019) evening after flights were disrupted for a second day and the political crisis in the former British colony deepened.
In a second day of unrest at the airport, thousands of black-clad protesters jammed the terminal, chanting, singing and waving banners.
Several police vehicles were blocked by protesters and riot police moved in, pushing some protesters back and using pepper spray. A policeman pulled out a gun at one point.
Protesters also barricaded some passageways in the airport with luggage trolleys, metal barriers and other objects. At least two protesters were taken away by police.
Scuffles broke out after an injured person was taken out of the main terminal by medics after he was held by a group of protesters. Some activists claimed he was an undercover mainland Chinese police officer.
However, the editor in chief of China's Global Times says it was one of their reporters that was seized by demonstrators at Hong Kong airport.
In Washington, U.S. President Donald Trump said the Chinese government was moving troops to the border with Hong Kong and he urged calm.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Sarah Duffy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None