- Title: Sun and wind powers mini 'Eiffel Tower' at Belgian music festival
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: FESTIVAL-GOERS LISTENING TO CONCERT WOMAN DANCING CONCERT IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 16:59
- Keywords: power generator Belgium Pukkelpop festival solar energy wind power renewable energy
- Location: HASSELT, BELGIUM
- City: HASSELT, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA002ASGXKYJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A 21-metre-high (69 ft.) power-generating 'Eiffel Tower' became an eye-catching feature at Belgium's Pukkelpop music festival, which opened on Thursday (August 15).
Erected to offer a sustainable alternative to polluting diesel generators so that concert goers can charge their electronic devices, the tower combines 20 square meters of coloured solar panels, a 700 kilogram wind turbine and a 90-kilowatt-hour battery
The project was developed by a professor at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), who spent five years working on the EU-sponsored project.
Dubbed the 'Green Energy Mill' by its creator Faas Moonen, the generator was designed to provide a full charge to 6,000 mobile phones and power to 100 tents at the festival, where the new structure was met with enthusiasm.
One festival-goer called the project an "amazing initiative", while another said he'd "never seen a solution before that combines wind and solar energy in such a creative way."
Pukkelpop spokesman Frederik Luyten said the tower was a great way to create awareness on renewable energies among festival-goers.
One of the best known music festivals in Belgium with a capacity of 66,000 visitors per day, the 34th edition of the sold-out festival is expected to attract mainly young people with 198 artists including Billie Eilish, The National, James Blake, Eels, Tame Impala and Franz Ferdinand.
(Production: Christian Levaux, Clement Rossignol)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.