- Title: China's People's Armed Police stage drills near Hong Kong border
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: SHENZHEN, CHINA (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SHAM CHUN RIVER AROUND SHENZEN CITY / SHENZEN SKYLINE CHINA'S PEOPLE'S ARMED POLICE (PAP) MARCHING NEAR SOCCER FIELD / MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED MILITARY VEHICLES MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED OUTSIDE SOCCER FIELD VARIOUS OF PAP AND VEHICLES DOING DRILLS ON SOCCER FIELD VARIOUS OF MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED IN CARPARK MILITARY VEHICLE MOVING OUTSIDE SOCCER FIELD VARIOUS OF PAP GATHERED VARIOUS OF PAP AND MILITARY VEHICLES OUTSIDE SHENZEN BAY SPORTS CENTRE
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 11:03
- Keywords: PAP China police Chinese police People's Armed Police
- Location: SHENZHEN, CHINA
- City: SHENZHEN, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLU69Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of China's People's Armed Police conducted exercises at a sports stadium in Shenzhen on Saturday (August 17) as thousands of Hong Kongers take part in more anti-government rallies.
Men in fatigues could be seen in a stadium at the Shenzhen Bay Sports Centre while a nearby parking lot was filled with large numbers of dark-painted paramilitary vehicles, including troop trucks, armoured personnel carriers, buses and jeeps.
Following an escalation in violence over the past few days, the rallies in Hong Kong this weekend are a key test of whether the protest movement can retain the broad support that it has appeared to enjoy.
The protests began as opposition to a now-suspended extradition bill but have since grown to include broader demands.
Demonstrators say they are fighting the erosion of the "one country, two systems" arrangement that enshrined some autonomy for Hong Kong since China took it back from Britain in 1997.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None