- Title: Eyepatch-clad protesters in Taiwan express support for Hong Kong movement
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 28-YEAR-OLD PROTESTER FROM HONG KONG, ANGELO CHUI, SAYING: "Actually I think the reason that I came to Taiwan is that there are many other Hong Kongers here, and I also know that many Taiwanese support the actions of protesters in Hong Kong, this is why I chose to come over. Actually I only discovered that they have those meetings and this flashmob event after coming here, so I participated. I support that they support us, so I came here (to Taiwan)." PROTESTERS KNEELING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) SPOKESPERSON OF TAIWAN-BASED GROUP OF HONG KONG CITIZENS CALLED "OUTLANDERS", DORA, SAYING: "We want people to be aware that on August 11, the level of police violence against Hong Kong citizens already reached its maximum, the maximum level so far. This is why we mimicked the appearance of one of the injured to stand here quietly. Our demands today are actually the same as Hong Kong residents, five demands without compromise. Because our demands today focus on the abuse of police power, we once more emphasise the formation of an independent investigation committee. We also need the actual right to general elections, so that Hong Kongers can have a future. We seek freedom, democracy and the rule of law." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WEARING EYEPATCHES HOLDING BANNERS PROTESTERS DISPERSING (MUTE) TIME-LAPSE VIDEO SHOWING TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF TAIPEI 101
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 11:48
- Keywords: eyepatch Taiwan support for Hong Kong democracy flash mob pro-democracy Hong Kong protests Hong Kong protest
- Location: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- City: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003ASLU2BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Dozens of protesters took part in a flashmob in support of Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests on Saturday (August 17) in Taiwan's capital.
Participants donned eyepatches to show their support for a medic that lost her eyesight after being shot in the face by police with a beanbag round during clashes in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong citizens living in Taiwan have organised events to support Hong Kong demonstrators for months, including large-scale protests, donation drives to collect supplies for protesters and small-scale events like this flashmob.
Many in Taiwan support the protest movement in Hong Kong, as China has proposed to use the same formula of 'one country, two systems' in Taiwan that many Hong Kongers view as failed and a threat to their freedoms.
Taiwan is claimed by China as part of its territory, although since the People's Republic of China was proclaimed in 1949, it has never actually ruled the island.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None