- Title: Eyepatch-clad protesters in Taiwan express support for Hong Kong movement
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: TAIPEI, TAIWAN (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS FIXING EYEPATCHES PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF ART INSTALLATION SPELLING (English): "LOVE" PROTESTERS HOLDING POSTERS (English and Chinese): "TAIWAN STAND WITH HONG KONG" PROTESTER HOLDING POSTERS VARIOUS OF MEDIA FILMING AND TAKING PICTURES PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF ARTWORK
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 11:48
- Keywords: eyepatch Taiwan support for Hong Kong democracy flash mob pro-democracy Hong Kong protests Hong Kong protest
- Location: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- City: TAIPEI, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLU2BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Dozens of protesters took part in a flashmob in support of Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests on Saturday (August 17) in Taiwan's capital.
Participants donned eyepatches to show their support for a medic that lost her eyesight after being shot in the face by police with a beanbag round during clashes in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong citizens living in Taiwan have organised events to support Hong Kong demonstrators for months, including large-scale protests, donation drives to collect supplies for protesters and small-scale events like this flashmob.
Many in Taiwan support the protest movement in Hong Kong, as China has proposed to use the same formula of 'one country, two systems' in Taiwan that many Hong Kongers view as failed and a threat to their freedoms.
Taiwan is claimed by China as part of its territory, although since the People's Republic of China was proclaimed in 1949, it has never actually ruled the island.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None