- Title: Afghanistan blasts wound dozens on Independence Day
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF VICTIMS LYING ON STRETCHERS IN HOSPITAL CORRIDOR
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 13:45
- Keywords: Jalalabad bombs Afghanistan bombing Afghan city Afghanistan independence at least 66 wounded
- Location: JALALABAD, NANGARHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- City: JALALABAD, NANGARHAR, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA004ASVTPAF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT
A series of bombings struck restaurants and public squares on Monday (August 19) in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, wounding at least 66 people, officials said, as the country marked the 100th anniversary of its independence.
No group claimed responsibility for the 10 bombs but both Islamic State (IS) and the Taliban militants operate in the area.
IS claimed responsibility for a weekend bomb attack on a wedding reception in the capital, Kabul, that killed 63 people and wounded nearly 200.
The Jalalabad bombs were planted near a market where hundreds of people had congregated after attending Independence Day events. Senior health official Fahim Bashari said at least 66 people were wounded, including 20 children enjoying the public holiday.
Independence day ceremonies in Kabul were curtailed out of respect for those who died in the Saturday night bomb, the government said.
Production: (Parwiz, Mohammad Rafiq, Hameed Farzad, Sayed Hassib, Nina Hodgson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material