- Title: Dog days of summer: Croatian pups and owners compete in beach race
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: NIMUS AND MARIN RECEIVING PRIZE / NIMBUS PLAYING WITH ANOTHER DOG
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 10:09
- Keywords: dog race dogs and owners Croatia race
- Location: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- City: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002ATUUW55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Almost two dozen dogs accompanied by their owners competed on Sunday (August 25) in what has become a traditional end-of-summer race hosted by one of Croatia's few dog-friendly beaches.
The race, which returned to the northern Adriatic town of Crikvenica after it was held for two years on the nearby island of Rab, includes a short running and swimming course, with the fastest dog-owner tandems winning special treats such as canine wine dubbed "Pawsecco" and ice cream. The owners had to do with normal wine.
This year, the race was won by a returning champion and 2017 winner, Nimbus, a large athletic seven-year-old mutt, despite being distracted by female competitors.
For dogs more keen on candy than swimming, the event also included a competition for fastest ice-cream eating and drinking of canine wine. All four-legged athletes were rewarded with special treats.
The winner of those competitions this year were labradors Simba and Bonzi who finished their treats within minutes.
It was a fitting end for another hot summer season on the Adriatic where every dog has its day - at least in Crikvenica.
(Production: Boris Kavic, David Spaic, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.