- Title: U.N.'s Guterres says hopes for more international backing to preserve Amazon
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: AMAZONAS STATE, BRAZIL (AUGUST 21, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE AND FIRES AT AMAZON FOREST
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 12:40
- Keywords: United Nations Antonio Guterres G7 summit Biarritz news conference
- Location: BIARRITZ, FRANCE / AMAZONAS STATE, BRAZIL
- City: BIARRITZ, FRANCE / AMAZONAS STATE, BRAZIL
- Country: France
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ATUVKNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Monday (August 26) called on the international community for more support to Amazon countries in the combat against the raging fires in the South American rainforest.
Speaking to journalists on the sidelines of the G7 summit in the French town of Biarritz, Guterres said there was a "very strong call" from the global community to stop the raging fires.
Guterres also emphasized the important of reforestation, adding that an event will be organised during the U.N.'s general assembly in New York to push for collective action on the preservation of the Amazon.
Asked if he had held discussions with United States President Donald Trump on the issue, Guterres said that the question was irrelevant. What matters was more climate commitment on the part of American civil society, he said.
Trump was absent from talks on climate change and biodiversity at a G7 leaders' summit on Monday, with host President Emmanuel Macron explaining that Trump was busy holding bilateral meetings.
Trump backed the leaders' efforts to tackle the fires raging in the Amazon forest, Macron said.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None