- Title: Supreme Court forms bench to hear on abrogation of Kashmirâ€™s special status
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: SOURA, SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (FILE - AUGUST 23, 2019) (REUTERS) JENAB SAHIB SHRINE/PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF WOMEN PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS SHRINE/PROTESTERS RAISING THEIR HANDS AND SLOGANEERING A PLACARD READING (English): 'WE DREAM OF AN INDEPENDENT KASHMIR' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING AND RAISING SLOGANS
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 09:17
- Keywords: Jammu and Kashmir Srinagar New Delhi Supreme Court India special status
- Location: NEW DELHI/SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002AU4SXFZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India's Supreme Court referred pleas challenging abrogation of Jammu and Kashmir's special status to a five-judge Constitution bench on Wednesday (August 28).
India revoked Article 370 that gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir, on August 05 and moved to quell widespread unrest by shutting down communications and clamping down on freedom of movement.
The top court while hearing a batch of petitions questioning the validity of the government's decision to remove special status said the hearing will begin in the first week of October.
A lawyer for Roots in Kashmir, a Kashmiri Pandits (Hindu community) organisation, Bimal Roy said "no stay was granted because they were asking for interim stay and because this is a constitutional matter, it has been referred to Constitutional bench and will be heard in October after which the decision will be taken by the Supreme Court."
A notice was also issued by the top court to the government seeking a direction for relaxing restrictions on means of communication and respond within seven days.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None