- Title: Costco Wholesale Corp opens its first store in China
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF COSTCO SUPERMARKET COSTCO SIGN ON EXTERIOR OF BUILDING BOARD READING (English): "COSTCO WHOLESALE STORE ENTRANCE" VARIOUS OF CUSTOMERS INSIDE COSTCO SUPERMARKET CUSTOMER'S HANDS HOLDING AVOCADOS CUSTOMER, LIANG DAN, CHOOSING AVOCADO LIANG DAN LOOKING LIANG DAN'S HANDS PUTTING AVOCADO INTO TROLLEY AND WALKING AWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CUSTOMER, LIANG DAN, SAYING: "I think it's with a huge scale and has variety of goods. You have more choices when shopping in terms of furniture, foods, electrical goods and so on. You can find variety of goods when shopping here. Compared with other supermarkets, I think it's an advantage." CUSTOMERS INSIDE COSTCO SUPERMARKET MAN AND YOUNG BOY LOOKING AT CHEESE PACKET PACKAGED CHEESE IN CUSTOMER'S HAND (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) A 35-YEAR-OLD CONSUMER, WANG WEI, SAYING: "I think to us ordinary people, we only need to get benefit from this. I don't care if it's a U.S. company, French company or Chinese Company. I will only choose the one with a good price and service." TIME-LAPSE OF CUSTOMERS SHOPPING (MUTE) VARIOUS OF CUSTOMERS INSIDE COSTCO SUPERMARKET CUSTOMERS CHOOSING PORK PACKAGED PORK IN CUSTOMER'S HAND CUSTOMERS CHOOSING PORK CUSTOMER PUTTING PACKAGED PORK BACK INTO REFRIGERATOR CUSTOMERS QUEUING FOR ROAST CHICKEN PACKAGED ROAST CHICKEN BEING TAKEN OFF HEATED SHELF PEOPLE QUEUING CUSTOMERS INSIDE COSTCO SUPERMARKET GOODS BEING SCANNED AT CHECK-OUT COSTCO STAFF HANDING CUSTOMER THEIR SHOPPING IN A BAG VARIOUS OF CUSTOMERS WALKING WITH TROLLEYS (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) 65-YEAR-OLD CUSTOMER, ZHOU MINGHUA, SAYING: "Right now, I will choose Chinese goods. I won't buy U.S. goods. I will only buy U.S. goods if the price is as cheap as in U.S. If U.S. goods are more expensive than that in U.S., we Chinese won't buy it." EXTERIOR OF COSTCO SUPERMARKET COSTCO SIGN ON EXTERIOR OF BUILDING CUSTOMERS WALKING WITH TROLLEYS GOODS IN TROLLEY
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 15:37
- Keywords: costco wholesale corp first store in china china costco
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001AU4RWAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. hypermarket chain Costco Wholesale Corp. opened its first store in China on Tuesday (August 27) but was forced to shut early after large crowds flocked through the door and caused traffic jams in the Shanghai neighbourhood.
Costco Wholesale Corp. said it will limit the number of shoppers at its new China store and no more than 2,000 shoppers at any given time will be allowed into the store, located in a Shanghai suburb.
Viral images online showed shoppers clambering to get in, jostling with others to snag roasted chickens and meat, and waiting in long lines to check out.
Costco announced last month that it would open its first store in China. It first entered the country in 2014 through opening an online store on Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.'s Tmall online marketplace.
Its busy first day came as other big-name Western retailers such as Amazon, Tesco Plc and Carrefour are retreating from China having struggled to win market share in the face of strong competition from domestic rivals.
(Production: Jiang, Xihao)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None