- Title: Ukraine Zelenskiy's lawmakers march to parliament on first day
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: PHOTOGRAPHS OF KILLED PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 15:49
- Keywords: Ukraine parliament Servant of the People president Volodymyr Zelenskiy political novice fresh lawmakers
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AU9SUUX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lawmakers of the Servant of the People party, the biggest bloc in Ukraine's new parliament created President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, walked to parliament together before the start of their first workday on Thursday (August 29).
The newly appointed members of parliament, who were sworn in on Thursday, paid tribute to protesters who died during the 2013-2014 uprising and, earlier in the morning, to servicemen killed in the conflict in the country's east.
Zelenskiy, a first time politician, recruited fellow political novices to run as candidates for his Servant of the People party, which won an outright majority in the 450-seat parliament in July.
Party members said they were prepared for a long day and were ready to work hard for the Ukrainian people.
A former comedian who played a fictional president in a popular TV series, Zelenskiy swept to power promising to clean up Ukrainian politics and root out entrenched corruption.
He did not allow former lawmakers to run on his party's ticket.
High on the agenda of the next parliament will be fulfilling a major Zelenskiy election promise: that lawmakers should vote to remove their own immunity from prosecution.
(Production: Serhiy Takhmazov, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.