- Title: France's Castaner meets Britain's Patel in Paris
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: BOULOGNE-SUR-MER, FRANCE (FILE - JANUARY 11, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS CHECKING BOATS IN PORT FOR MIGRANTS CALAIS, FRANCE (FILE - JANUARY 25, 2019) (REUTERS) BRITISH STATE SECRETARY OF MIGRATION, CAROLINE NOKES, AND CASTANER SHAKING HANDS WITH OFFICIAL NOKES AND CASTANER UNVEILING PLAQUE RECOGNISING FRENCH-BRITISH COOPERATION CALAIS, FRANCE (FILE - JANUARY 10, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS AROUND FIRE IN MAKESHIFT CAMP, BEING MOVED ON BY POLICE MIGRANTS SETTING UP A NEW CAMP IN RAIN
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 17:02
- Keywords: France Britain Christophe Castaner Priti Patel interior minister migrants Calais
- Location: PARIS, COQUELLES, BOULOGNE-SUR-MER AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, COQUELLES, BOULOGNE-SUR-MER AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003AU9VR5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner met with British Home Secretary Priti Patel in Paris on Thursday (August 29) to discuss collaborative measures between their two countries on preventing migrants from crossing the English Channel by boat.
French and British authorities made a plan of action in January 2019 to block the crossings by increasing patrol numbers and raising awareness among migrants about the dangers, though the measures have not been effective.
According to the maritime prefecture of the English Channel and the North Sea, 1,473 migrants in 157 attempts have tried to reach the English shores since the beginning of the year compared to 586 migrants in 78 attempts in 2018.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None