- Title: File footage of arrested Hong Kong activists
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - JUNE 18, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** DEMOSISTO PARTY MEMBERS, INCLUDING NATHAN LAW (LEFT), JOSHUA WONG (CENTRE) AND AGNES CHOW (RIGHT), STANDING AND HOLDING PICTURES OF CHIEF EXECUTIVE CARRIE LAM AND POLICE CHIEF STEPHAN LO MEDIA FILMING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEMOSISTO PARTY MEMBER AND DEMOCRACY ACTIVIST, JOSHUA WONG, SAYING: "Two days after the rally, what we realised is Carrie Lam just choose to say sorry and that's all and totally ignore the requests of Hong Kong citizens. After one million people join the rally, it resulted in the announcement of suspension." PHONE SCREEN SHOWING LAW, WONG, AND CHOW BEING RECORDED LAW LOOKING ON NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - FEBRUARY 29, 2016) (REUTERS) STUDENT PROTEST LEADER, JOSHUA WONG, SPEAKING OUTSIDE EASTERN LAW COURTS BUILDING HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 26, 2014) (REUTERS) PROTESTER CLIMBING OVER FENCE OF GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS PROTESTERS AND JOURNALISTS RUSHING THROUGH OPENED GATE DOORS VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN TALKING TO WONG AND TAKING WONG AWAY HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 27, 2014) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS / POLICE AND OFFICIALS STANDING IN HEADQUARTERS ENTRANCE SQUARE PROTESTERS LINKING ARMS DURING PROTEST PROTESTER BEING CARRIED AWAY HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 28, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS AT CROWDS OF PROTESTERS PROTESTER SHOUTING NEXT TO PROTESTER HOLDING UP UMBRELLAS PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EASTERN LAW COURTS BUILDING SIGN READING (English and Chinese): "EASTERN LAW COURTS BUILDING" HONG KONG AND CHINA FLAGS FLYING STUDENT LEADERS COMING OUT OF COURT AND GREETING MEDIA PLACARDS SUPPORTING STUDENT LEADERS BEING HELD STUDENT LEADERS, INCLUDING WONG (LEFT) CHANTING (English): "FIGHT FOR DEMOCRACY!" FLAG READING (English): "2016 NEW GENERATION LEGCO" WONG SPEAKING PROTESTERS CHANTING
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 03:40
- Keywords: Joshua Wong activist arrest Hong Kong China protests
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUEREIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong democracy activists Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow and Andy Chan were arrested on Friday (August 30) ahead of another weekend of planned protests in the Chinese-ruled city that is grappling with its biggest political crisis since its handover to Beijing more than two decades ago.
File footage shows the three pro-democracy activists participating in various anti-government protests, panels and conferences in the past.
Wong, the face of Hong Kong's push for full democracy during protests in 2014 that paralysed parts of the city for 79 days, was released from jail in June after serving a five-week term for contempt of court.
"He was suddenly pushed into a private car on the street," Wong's political party Demosisto, which advocates for greater democracy in Hong Kong, said on its official Twitter account.
Demosisto party member Agnes Chow was also arrested, the group said, although it was not clear what charges she faced.
Andy Chan, a founder of the pro-independence Hong Kong National Party that was banned last September, said on his Facebook page late on Thursday (August 29) that he had been detained at Hong Kong's international airport and that he had been told he was about to be arrested.
Police did not respond immediately to requests for comment about all three.
(Production: Afiq Satikin, Lion Schellerer)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None