- Title: Hong Kong police target commuters with batons, pepper spray
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) COMMUTERS BEING HELD BY RIOT POLICE RIOT POLICE WALKING OUT VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE INSIDE MTR STATION
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 18:25
- Keywords: Hong Kong subway protesters riot police use pepper spray batons commuters
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: CHINA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA004AUJU0CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong commuters were caught up in police violence on Saturday (August 31) after riot police moved to detain suspected protesters from the subway.
Local TV footage showed police using batons and pepper spray on people in Prince Edward MTR station before making arrests. Some suspects were seen being beaten as they cowered on the floor with umbrellas.
Hong Kong's MTR network has been the source of numerous controversies since the night of July 21, when more than 100 white-shirted men stormed Yuen Long station hours after protesters had marched through central Hong Kong and defaced China's Liaison Office.
Chinese state media has also alleged that the MTR corporation facilitates protesters by providing convenient transportation before and after violent clashes with the police.
(Production: Tyrone Siu, Rosalind Church, Ebrahim Harris, Aleksander Solum, Jiang Xihao, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None