- Title: Boxing champ Pacquiao launches his own crypto tokens
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: PACQUIAO AND BUSINESS ASSOCIATES STANDING ON STAGE PACQUIAO RAISING TOAST WITH BUSINESS ASSOCIATES PACTOKEN LOGO DISPLAYED ON SCREEN/ PACQUIAO HAVING PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN CONCERT (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOXING CHAMPION, MANNY PACQUIAO, SAYING: "I've always wanted to do more for my fans and through GCOX's great business model powered by blockchain technology, I can now reach out to more people all around the world. I will be issuing fun challenges to my fans at a regular basis, so please do me a favour and participate so that I can reward you with loyalty points and you may redeem my exclusive autographed merchandise or be invited to my meet and greet session." PACQUIAO WALKING TOWARD FANS PACQUIAO HAVING PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN WITH FANS PACTOKEN LOGO ON SHIRT/ PACQUIAO POSING GLOBAL CRYPTO OFFERING EXCHANGE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER JEFFREY LIN SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (English) GLOBAL CRYPTO OFFERING EXCHANGE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, JEFFREY LIN, SAYING: "We have to clearly distinguish ourselves. We are not an ICO project. We're not here just to raise (money) and then we build. We are already building before we raise. So we are not here to raise a lot of money but we are here to build a whole ecosystem. So we believe that overtime when the token hit the secondary market, there will be circulation as long as there is utility. So we are a little bit different."
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 17:54
- Keywords: Manny Pacquiao boxing crypto tokens Manila
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Boxing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002AUTU1J9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Philippine boxing champion Manny Pacquiao launched his very own cryptocurrency on Sunday (September 1) at a free concert in Manila, where he serenaded more than 2,000 fans to drum up interest in the product.
The 40-year-old boxer, who defeated Keith Thurman to win the WBA Welterweight Super Championship in July and is also a Philippine senator, hopes to cash in on his "Pac" tokens, which will allow fans to buy his merchandise and interact with him via social media.
The "Pac" token will be listed on Singapore's Global Crypto Offering Exchange (GCOX) and counts Pacquiao and ex-Liverpool and England soccer star Michael Owen as private investors, along with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family.
It is the world's first celebrity cyrptocurrency.
Tennis ace Caroline Wozniacki, Owen and singer Jason Derulo also plan to launch their own crypto tokens with GCOX.
At the concert, Pacquiao sang songs from his own album which has sold thousands of copies and covers popular love songs.
(Production: Ronn Bautista)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None