- Title: Hong Kong students join boycott after weekend of violence
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF STUDENT PROTESTERS WITH FACE MASKS GATHERING AT CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG STUDENT HOLDING BANNER AND CHANTING STUDENTS GATHERING (SOUNDBITE) (English) HANG SENG SCHOOL OF COMMERCE STUDENT, ROCKY LI, SAYING: "You know every day I can study at home or in the classrooms, but I skip one classes to express my voice and opinion to Hong Kong. It's more important than I study in the classrooms. So I'm right here." PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTERS IN GAS MASKS HOLDING BLACK BANNERS PROTESTER WEARING GAS MASK PROTESTERS CHANTING MASKED MALE STUDENT PROTESTER CHANTING PROTESTER HOLDING PLACARD SHOWING CARTOON CARICATURES OF PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY STUDENT, MICHAEL CHAN, SAYING: "Because it somehow affects our future. We don't want our children to live under a society that is really unfair, injustice. And I think this is the minimum that we can do, and to skip our classes and to join this event." CROWD GATHERING AT UNIVERSITY CAMPUS VARIOUS OF PROTESTER SPEAKING ON STAGE PROTESTERS CHANTING UNIDENTIFIED MAN IN RED SHIRT SHOUTING WHILE PEOPLE FILM HIM VARIOUS OF UNIDENTIFIED MAN IN RED SHIRT LEAVING STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) UNIDENTIFIED MAN IN RED SHIRT SAYING: "I am opposed to taking such a break (from studies), I think university students' duty is to study, and we they shouldn't come out to strike. You got it?" UNIDENTIFIED MAN IN RED SHIRT SHOWING ID AND WALKING AWAY UNIDENTIFIED MAN IN RED SHIRT SHOUTING (Mandarin): "LONG LIVE WORK!" AND WAKING AWAY STUDENT PROTESTERS SITTING WHILE HOLDING PLACARD PLACARD READING (English): "BENEATH THIS MASK, THERE IS AN IDEA. IDEAS ARE BULLET-PROOF" STUDENT PROTESTERS GATHERING BANNER IN FRONT OF STUDENTS READING (English): "CLASS BOYCOTT 2ND SEPT" VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERING STUDENTS GATHERED NEAR STATUE CALLED "LADY LIBERTY HONG KONG" VARIOUS OF STATUE MALE STUDENT PROTESTER TAKING PICTURES STATUE VARIOUS OF CROWD GATHERING
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 12:04
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest strike student the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUYRAKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of students boycotted the first day of class on Monday (September 2) to participate in a city-wide strike following violent demonstrations.
The boycott follows a weekend marred by some of the worst violence since unrest escalated more than three months ago, with protesters burning barricades and throwing petrol bombs, and police retaliating with water cannon, tear gas and batons.
Students gathered at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and chanted "add oil" in support of the protesters. During the rally, one unidentified student briefly disrupted the programme and shouted in Mandarin that they "shouldn't come out to strike",
The unrest began over a now-suspended extradition bill that would have allowed people in the city to be sent to China for trial in courts controlled by the Communist Party, the latest example of what many residents see as ever-tighter control by Beijing, despite the promise of autonomy.
(Production: Jiang Xihao, Joyce Zhou, Peter Blaza)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None