- Title: German Merkel sits down with China's premier for welcome ceremony in Beijing
- Date: 6th September 2019
- Summary: WELCOME CEREMONY IN PROGRESS MERKEL AND LI STANDING UP AND WALKING ON RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 20th September 2019 04:34
- Keywords: China Germany Angela Merkel Li Keqiang premiere welcoming ceremony state visit
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003AVIPQH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel started her official two-day trip in China on Friday (September 6) and met with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang.
Both leaders attended the welcome ceremony followed by the bilateral meeting. Merkel sat down with Li during the welcome ceremony which is rarely seen in state visit ceremonies in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
Merkel is taking a large business delegation with her and wants to use the trip to push Beijing to open up its markets and embrace fairer competition - a task made harder by the year as China's growing economic power gives it more leverage.
At the start of the formal talks, Merkel that China-U.S. trade problems affect the whole world and that she hopes they will be resolved soon.
(Production: Thomas Suen)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None