- Title: St Petersburg, Munich and Wembley to host Champions League finals
- Date: 24th September 2019
- Summary: ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF KRESTOVSKY STADIUM, WHICH IS DUE TO HOST UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL IN 2021 VARIOUS INTERIORS OF KRESTOVSKY STADIUM WITH GROUNDSMAN WORKING ROOF OF STADIUM / PITCH LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE) (REUTERS) WEMBLEY STADIUM STADIUM EXTERIOR/ STATUE OF FORMER ENGLAND CAPTAIN BOBBY MOORE MOORE STATUE WITH ENGLAND FLAG VIEW OF STADIUM FROM ENTRANCE WALKWAY SECTION OF ARCH ARCH SEEN FROM INSIDE STADIUM STADIUM INTERIOR GROUNDSKEEPER CUTTING GRASS PAN ACROSS STADIUM INTERIOR SEATING VIEW FROM PITCH LEVEL MUNICH, GERMANY (FILE - SEPTEMBER 16, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF BAYERN MUNICH'S ALLIANZ ARENA MUNICH, GERMANY (FILE - AUGUST 2014) (REUTERS) CROWD INSIDE ARENA SPECTATORS BAYERN PLAYERS TRAINING IN STADIUM
- Embargoed: 8th October 2019 19:50
- Keywords: UEFA football soccer Alexander Ceferin UCL Champions League
- Location: LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA / LONDON ,ENGLAND, UK / MUNICH, GERMANY / ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- City: LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA / LONDON ,ENGLAND, UK / MUNICH, GERMANY / ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Slovenia
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002AY0QC73
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: St. Petersburg, Munich and Wembley Stadium in London will host the three Champions League finals from 2021, European football's governing body UEFA said on Tuesday (September 24).
Istanbul in Turkey is already scheduled to hold the final of the 2019/2020 campaign on May 30 at the Ataturk Olympic Stadium.
The 2021 final will be the second to be staged in Russia after Moscow hosted Manchester United's penalty shootout win against Chelsea at the Luzhniki Stadium in 2008.
Munich hosted Chelsea's victory over home side Bayern in 2012 while Wembley will take charge of Europe's premier club final for the eighth time.
Wembley will in 2023 be celebrating the 100th year since the opening of the original stadium in London.
Seville will host the 2021 UEFA Europa League final while Belfast will host that year's Super Cup.
UEFA President, Aleksander Ceferin, also announced after the meeting of the UEFA executive committee in Ljubljana, Slovenia, that the governing body warned members not to play games in countries where the rights of women to watch games were not respected.
Ceferin also revealed the challenge of organising a Euro championship tournament across the continent, as will happen at Euro 2020, is unlikely to take place further in the future due to the logistics and visa issues involved with organising such an event.
(Production: Francis Maguire / Boris Kavic)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None