- Title: Police to investigate arson of Ukraine's former central bank head's house
- Date: 17th September 2019
- Summary: HORENYCHI, UKRAINE (SEPTEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) WALKING SHOT OF RUBBLE ON FLOOR IN BURNT HOUSE EXTERIOR OF BURNT HOUSE BURNT WOODEN PILLARS VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS AT SCENE VARIOUS OF BURNT HOUSE RUBBLE ON GROUND (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) SPOKESPERSON FOR KIEV REGION POLICE DEPARTMENT, MYKOLA ZHUKEVYCH, SAYING: "Our preliminary conclusion is that an unknown person broke into the house illegally. And this person probably committed arson." VARIOUS OF RUBBLE WINDOWS HOUSE EXTERIOR POLICE OFFICER TAKING NOTES VARIOUS OF BURNT HOUSE POLICE CARS AT SCENE POLICE CAR ARRIVING POLICE OFFICERS AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 1st October 2019 14:52
- Keywords: Ukraine Valeria Gontareva Central Bank of Ukraine former governor arson attack burnt house
- Location: HORENYCHI, UKRAINE
- City: HORENYCHI, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AX1RGAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS VIDEO FILMED IN PORTRAIT
Police have opened a criminal investigation after a property belonging to the family of former Central Bank Governor Valeria Gontareva was burned down on Tuesday night (September 17). Gontareva did not say who might be responsible for the arson attack.
Ukraine's president called for a full investigation into an arson attack that has raised political tensions in a dispute over the IMF-backed nationalisation of the country's largest lender PrivatBank.
PrivatBank was taken into state hands against the wishes of its ex-owner, Ihor Kolomoisky, in 2016 and its fortunes are closely watched by investors because the International Monetary Fund may freeze aid if the nationalisation is reversed.
"The fire accident in the house of the former Governor of the National Bank of Ukraine is a brutal crime, the rapid investigation of which should be a priority in the work of the law enforcement agencies," Zelenskiy said in a statement.
"Everyone should feel protected in Ukraine, regardless of their past or current positions and political views."
Ukraine's central bank said reformers were being intimidated in order to paralyse their activities.
Arson attack that marked the latest in a string of incidents affecting the former central bank governor.
Gontareva, who suffered injuries after being hit by a car in central London last month, believes she is being hounded by Kolomoisky over her decision to nationalise PrivatBank, which the businessman denies.
Speaking to Reuters in London on Saturday, Gontareva, in a wheelchair with casts on both her legs, said the incidents were intended to intimidate current central bank employees who have a say over the future of PrivatBank.
London police said they were not treating the car incident as suspicious and the driver was not arrested.
Kolomoisky denies orchestrating a campaign against Gontareva.
(Production: Sergiy Karazy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko, Matthias Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None