- Title: Malaysia battles hazardous smog with cloud seeding
- Date: 19th September 2019
- Summary: IN AIR OVER MALAYSIA (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) AIR FORCE PERSONNEL OPENING CARGO BAY DOORS DURING FLIGHT AIR FORCE PERSONNEL STANDING IN CARGO BAY VARIOUS OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL STANDING OVER CLOUD SEEDING TUBES CLOUD SEEDING TUBES SPRAYING SODIUM CHLORIDE WATER AIR FORCE PERSONNEL HOLDING ONTO TUBES VARIOUS OF CLOUD SEEDING CREW WORKING VIEW PROPELLERS FROM WINDOW VIEW OF CLOUDS FROM WINDOW CREW IN CARGO BAY SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA (SEPTEMBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING BY MILITARY AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC SIGN READING (English) "ROYAL MALAYSIAN AIR FORCE" VARIOUS OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL LOADING WATER TANK CONTAINING SODIUM CHLORIDE WATER ONTO PLANE CARGO BAY VARIOUS OF MINISTER OF ENERGY, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE, YEO BEE YIN TALKING TO CLOUD SEEDING TEAM AND AIR FORCE CREW IN PLANE CARGO (SOUNDBITE) (English) MINISTER OF ENERGY, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE, YEO BEE YIN, SAYING: "What we can guarantee is that the government is ready to do cloud seeding whenever it's possible, whenever the cloud situation allows, we will do cloud seeding. So to bring temporarily relief to people who are suffering under this haze situation, so we are very concerned (about) people's health, we are very concern on everyone who needs to go through their life in a hazy situation. We want to bring even temporarily relief. We are going to do our best to make sure that we do this (for) the people." YEO SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English and Bahasa Malaysia) AIR FORCE CHIEF, GENERAL AFFENDI BUANG, SAYING: "Working together with Metrology department, we will carry out our duty for what needs to be done. We don't have to worry about the aircraft capability. This has been given the highest priority, as we mentioned early on, and the effort is to make sure that people be relieved from the suffering of this haze issue." AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC CONTROL TOWER
- Embargoed: 3rd October 2019 11:17
- Keywords: Malaysia cloud seeding haze pollution military
- Location: SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA/IN AIR OVER MALAYSIA
- City: SHAH ALAM, SELANGOR STATE, MALAYSIA/IN AIR OVER MALAYSIA
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Pollution,Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001AXBN0AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Malaysian government on Thursday (September 19) said it would carry out cloud seeding whenever possible to clear the smoke from forest fires that has engulfed the country in the past few weeks.
"We want to bring even temporarily relief. We are going to do our best to make sure that we do this (for) the people," Minister of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change, Yeo Bee Yin, told media on the tarmac in Shah Alam just before a cloud seeding demonstration.
Malaysia closed more than 1500 schools around the country as fires on Indonesia's Sumatra and Borneo islands continued to burn.
In recent weeks, the Indonesian government has sent in thousands of military and police to douse the flames.
Indonesia's neighbours have regularly complained about smog caused by its forest blazes - often started by farmers trying to clear land for palm oil and pulp plantations - though Jakarta has denied the accusation, saying forest fires had also started in other countries across the region.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None