- Title: 'We are prepared': France rehearses 'no-deal' Brexit customs checks in Calais
- Date: 25th September 2019
- Summary: COMPUTER SCREEN DISPLAYING INFORMATION ON SHIPMENT
- Embargoed: 9th October 2019 09:11
- Keywords: Brexit France customs checks Calais English Channel Britain lorries "no deal" ferry port
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AY5O47B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of French customs agents on Tuesday (September 24) conducted in Calais a life-size rehearsal of the measures that could take effect in the event of a "no-deal" Brexit.
Officers inspected customs documents and shipments while lorry drivers arriving from Britain went through screening procedures designed to ensure that the amounts of goods declared matched the quantities aboard the vehicles.
The simulation aims to prevent long tailbacks of lorries on both sides of the border between France and Britain, a hassle that could surface if Britain withdrew from the European Union without a deal by Oct. 31.
The drill comes as France has been holding similar test runs to prepare for a "no-deal" Brexit for several months. French authorities have hired 700 new officers, including 270 officers in the Calais region, and spent 6 million euros to build new infrastructure at the port.
"We are especially well prepared and feel confident," northern France's Customs Director Didier Verhaeghe said.
(Production: Manuel Ausloos, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.