- Title: British tanker docks in Dubai after detention by Iran
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (SEPTEMBER 28, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) STENA IMPERO DOCKED AT PORT RASHID WITH TUGBOAT IN FRONT WORDS 'STENA IMPERO' ON THE SIDE OF THE SHIP STENA IMPERO DOCKED AT PORT RASHID ROPES BEING LOWERED FROM SHIP ONTO TUGBOAT MEN ON TUGBOAT HOLDING THE ROPES TUGBOAT NEXT TO STENA IMPERO FRONT OF STENA IMPERO 'S' ON FRONT OF THE SHIP STENA IMPERO AND UAE FLAGS FLYING ON THE SHIP SIDE OF SHIP UPPER DECK OF THE SHIP VARIOUS OF STENA IMPERO AT PORT RASHID, WITH TUGBOATS ON THE SIDE SIDE VIEW OF UPPER DECK OF THE SHIP TUGBOATS WITH UAE FLAG FLYING IN THE BACKGROUND STENA IMPERO DOCKED AT PORT RASHID VARIOUS OF CRANE WITH 'DRYDOCKS WORLD DUBAI' WRITTEN
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 14:57
- Keywords: Stena Impero British-flagged tanker oil tanker Dubai port tanker docks Iran
- Location: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- City: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- Country: UAE
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYKNFWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A British-flagged tanker that was detained by Iran for 10 weeks, docked in Dubai on Saturday (September 28), after a standoff that has stoked tensions along a vital global shipping route for oil.
The Stena Impero, which sailed out of Iranian waters on Friday (September 27), was seized by Iran's Revolutionary Guards on July 19, shortly after British forces detained an Iranian tanker off the territory of Gibraltar. The Iranian ship was released in August.
Erik Hanell, the chief executive of Sweden's Stena Bulk, which owns the ship, told Reuters the crew would receive medical checks and would be de-briefed in Dubai, which lies across the Gulf from Iran, before travelling home to their families. Seven of the 23 crew were freed earlier this month.
The seizure of the vessel, which the Iranian authorities said was for marine violations, followed attacks on other merchant tankers in Gulf waters in May and June. The United States blamed those attacks on Iran, which Tehran denied.
Relations between Iran and the United States and its allies have deteriorated since Washington withdrew last year from a global agreement to rein in Tehran's nuclear work and imposed sanctions aimed at shutting down Iranian oil exports.
(Production: Christopher Pike, Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None