- Title: Hong Kong police turn water cannon on protesters
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON SPRAYING BLUE WATER VARIOUS OF FIRE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS POLICE PROTESTERS RUNNING/TEAR GAS BEING FIRED TEAR GAS BEING FIRED VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BEING DETAINED BY POLICE
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 10:16
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest protesters rally water cannon tear gas police
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPL4QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong police fired a water cannon with blue water at protesters who had gathered outside of government house on Sunday (September 29) to disperse them.
Hundreds of black clad protesters protecting themselves with umbrellas confronted police. Some hurled petrol bombs inside the security barriers surrounding the building.
The protest on Sunday followed after another night of violent clashes with police after weeks of pro-democracy unrest in the Chinese-ruled city. Protests were sparked in June by planned legislation, since withdrawn, that would have allowed the extradition of suspected criminals to mainland China. But they have since expanded into a broader pro-democracy movement.
More protests are planned in the run up to China's the October 1 National Day, marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of People's Republic.
(Production: Joseph Campbell, Xihao Jiang, Arshad Satikin, Masako Iijim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None