- Title: Moroccan king ill, forced to miss Chirac funeral service
- Date: 29th September 2019
- Summary: RABAT, MOROCCO (FILE - MARCH 30, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MOROCCAN KING MOHAMMED VI AND POPE FRANCIS TALKING IN THE ROYAL PALACE KING MOHAMMED VI ADJUSTING HIS GLASSES POPE AND KING MOHAMMED VI TALKING
- Embargoed: 13th October 2019 21:22
- Keywords: King Mohammed VI of Morocco royal King sick illness Chirac funeral Moroccan royal family head of state
- Location: RABAT AND MARRAKECH, MOROCCO / PARIS, FRANCE / ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- City: RABAT AND MARRAKECH, MOROCCO / PARIS, FRANCE / ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- Country: Morocco
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001AYPNPZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Doctors have advised Morocco's King Mohammed VI to rest for several days to recover from a viral lung infection that forced him to miss a remembrance ceremony in Paris for France's late president Jacques Chirac, the palace said on Sunday (September 29).
In a rare statement on the health of the 56-year-old monarch, who last year underwent heart surgery, the palace said Mohammed had been unable to attend the commemoration event for Chirac, who died last week aged 86.
The palace noted in its statement the "strong ties" between the Chirac family and the ruling dynasty in Morocco, a former French protectorate.
Chirac's funeral will take place on Monday and Crown Prince Moulay El Hassan will represent Morocco at the event.
King Mohammed VI has headed the Muslim world's longest-serving dynasty since 1999 when his father Hassan II died of a heart attack.
As head of state, Mohammed represents the supreme authority in Morocco. He devolved some powers to an elected government in reforms after the "Arab Spring" protests, but he is able to sack ministers and did so after protests in the Rif region.
(Production: Kristian Brunse)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None