- Title: Crimeans crush grapes, sample giant pie at wine festival
- Date: 30th September 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE TAKING GLASSES FOR WINE VARIOUS OF CHAMPAGNE BEING POURED IN GLASSES ARTIST PAINTING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) WINE FEST 2019 PARTICIPANT, NATALIA MELNIK, SAYING: "I have a lot of impressions which fountains like champagne out of me. I doused the guests, doused myself. I totally enjoy this place and this festival." PEOPLE WEARING FESTIVE COSTUMES AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPH (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) WINE FEST 2019 PARTICIPANT, OLGA KHUDOBANDAEVA, SAYING: "It was fun (QUESTION OFF CAMERA: WHAT?) to stomp grapes with my feet, pleasant grapes, our Crimean grapes, but of course it would be better to eat it". GRAPES IN TROUGH (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) WINE FEST 2019 ORGANISER, IRAKLI SAZAROV, SAYING: "(This is) a festival for the whole family, a picnic in the open air among the Balaclava valley of Zolotaya Balca vineyards." Ð¡RIMEAN VINEYARD GRAPE PIE MEASURING FIVE METRES IN LENGTH AND 2.5 METRES IN WIDTH (16 FEET BY 8 FEET) PEOPLE GATHERING NEAR PIE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CUTTING PIE, SERVING PLATES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING BY AT FESTIVAL
- Embargoed: 14th October 2019 10:12
- Keywords: Crimea Wine Festival grape stomping huge pie wine Crimean wine Crimea festival
- Location: SEVASTOPOL, CRIMEA
- City: SEVASTOPOL, CRIMEA
- Country: Crimea
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA004AYUMVQX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People living in Crimea got a chance to experience traditional wine-making using their own feet at a local wine festival on Sunday (September 29).
As guests competed to crush troughs full of grapes to pulp, others brought a festive spirit by dousing visitors with bottles of champagne to celebrate the peninsula's grape harvest.
Attendees also queued up for a slice of grape pie, some five metres long and 2.5 metres wide (16 feet by 8 feet) which organisers said was inspired by an ancient Greek legend of a similar pie dedicated to the goddess Demeter.
Local media reported the pie weighed around 200 kilos (441 pounds).
The event was organised by the local authorities in Sevastopol, Crimea's largest city, and offered local winemakers a chance to introduce their local vintages to the population.
Russia annexed the Black Sea peninsula of Crimea from Kiev in 2014. The European Union and the United States Western countries have imposed economic sanctions on Russia over the annexation.
(Production: Anastasia Adasheva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None