- Title: Hong Kong reporter injured in street protests
- Date: 1st October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS AT CROWD OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS SHIELDING THEMSELVES UNDER UMBRELLAS POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS POLICE WEARING GAS MASKS LOOKING ON MEDICAL STAFF ATTENDING TO REPORTER WITH INJURED EYE INJURED REPORTER WITH DRESSING ON EYE WEARING OXYGEN MASK MEDICAL STAFF WHEELING INJURED REPORTER AWAY INJURED REPORTER BEING LOADED INTO AMBULANCE MEDICAL WORKER GETTING INTO AMBULANCE PROTESTERS JUMPING BARRIER ON STREET, HOLDING UMBRELLAS PROTESTERS GATHERED VARIOUS OF POLICE HOLDING SHIELD, BANNER, FIRING TEAR GAS POLICE HOLDING SHIELDS MARCHING ALONG STREET
- Embargoed: 15th October 2019 13:34
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests injured reporter tear gas
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZ9KOXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A journalist suffered an eye injury on Tuesday (October 1) as the streets of Hong Kong turned into a battlefield on China's national day.
Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets at pro-democracy protesters across the territory as its Chinese rulers celebrated the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic.
Fifteen people were wounded, one critically, the Hospital Authority said without giving details.
The South China Morning Post and television reports said at least one person was wounded in the chest by police firing live rounds. Police did not respond to requests for comment but have said they fired live rounds into the air in previous clashes.
The territory has been tense for weeks, with protests often turning violent, as authorities tried to avoid activists spoiling Beijing's birthday parade at a time when the central government is already grappling with a U.S.-China trade war and a slowing economy.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Yuddy Cahya Budiman, Angie Teo, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None