- Title: Hong Kong protesters pelted with tear gas in Sha Tin area
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROTESTERS GATHERING OUTSIDE A SPORTS CENTRE IN SHA TIN AREA, TEAR GAS FIRED AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS, TEAR GAS SMOKE SPORTS CENTRE / PROTESTERS PROTESTERS ADVANCING TEAR GAS FIRED AT PROTESTERS, PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY PROTESTERS STANDING FIRE NEAR GARBAGE BIN VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS PUTTING OUT FIRE
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 17:50
- Keywords: Hong Kong protesters tear gas Sha Tin nieghbourhood Carrie Lam emergency laws
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZONXAF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong protesters were pelted with tear gas as they took to the streets of Sha Tin neighbourhood on Friday (October 4), as embattled leader Carrie Lam invoked colonial-era emergency powers last used more than 50 years ago to ban face mask.
The emergency law is to take effect on Saturday (October 5) and allows for curfews, censorship of the media, and control of harbours, ports and transport, although Lam did not specify any particular action that might follow beyond the mask ban.
As darkness fell, defiant demonstrators took to the streets to vent their anger, vandalising what they perceived to be China-friendly businesses and blocking a road in the heart of the financial centre.
Police fired tear gas to disperse protesters in other flashpoint districts across the territory, including Causeway Bay and Wong Tai Sin.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Vin Shahrestani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None