- Title: Greece and US update mutual defence cooperation pact
- Date: 5th October 2019
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (OCTOBER 5, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** U.S. FLAG WAVING OUTSIDE THE GREEK FOREIGN MINISTRY GREEK, U.S. AND EUROPEAN UNION FLAGS WAVING OUTSIDE THE GREEK FOREIGN MINISTRY VARIOUS OF POMPEO ARRIVING AT THE GREEK FOREIGN MINISTRY, EXITING CAR, SHAKING HANDS WITH GREEK FOREIGN MINISTER NIKOS DENDIAS, WALKING INSIDE MINISTRY POMPEO AND DENDIAS IN MEETING ROOM, SHAKING HANDS VARIOUS OF POMPEO SEATED, TALKING AND LAUGHING POMPEO, DENDIAS AND DELEGATIONS SEATED FOR MEETING
- Embargoed: 19th October 2019 12:08
- Keywords: Greece US Pompeo Athens
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZTK56V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with defence and foreign ministers in Greece on Saturday (October 5) as the US seeks to enhance defence cooperation with the Mediterranean country.
Greece and the United States signed an amendment of the Mutual Defence Cooperation Agreement, which will "enhance our common military and strategic footprint in the area, always to the benefit of regional security and stability," a statement from the Greek prime ministers office said.
The United States uses the Souda Bay facility in Crete for naval and air support. Greece contributes to NATO operations in Afghanistan and Kosovo.
The two countries also agreed to strengthen relations on economic, trade, and cultural issues.
Greece asked the United States to use its influence to diffuse tensions in the Eastern Mediterranean, where Cyprus and Turkey are locked in a dispute over offshore rights.
Pompeo arrives in Greece after visiting Montenegro, North Macedonia and Italy.
Pompeo's trip to Southern Europe has been overshadowed by an impeachment inquiry at home against US President Donald Trump.
(Production: Deborah Kyvrikosaios, Idyli Tsakiri)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None