- Title: Turkey sends military reinforcement to its border with Syria - Anadolu
- Date: 5th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 5, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF TOW TRUCKS CARRYING TANKS AND ARMORED VEHICLES ARRIVING IN AKCAKALE DISTRICT VARIOUS OF CONVOY DRIVING TOWARDS MILITARY UNITS ON SYRIAN BORDER
- Embargoed: 19th October 2019 22:08
- Keywords: Turkey Syria operation east of Euphrates Manbij YPG Free Syrian Army military convoy border reinforcement
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZTLXZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nine trucks loaded with armored vehicles and one bus carrying military personnel had been sent to the border district of Akcakale, located in the southeastern province of Sanliurfa, Turkey's state-owned Anadolu Agency said late on Saturday (October 5).
The convoy was sent to reinforce military units based on the Syrian border, Anadolu said. It was not immediately clear whether the shipment was in preparation for a planned incursion into northeast Syria.
The air and ground operation east of the Euphrates river in Syria could start at any time, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said early on Saturday after accusing Washington of not doing enough to expel Syrian Kurdish fighters from its border.
NATO allies Ankara and Washington agreed in August to set up a zone in northeast Syria along the border but Turkey has accused the United States, which helped the YPG defeat Islamic State militants in Syria, of moving too slowly to create the zone. They are at odds over how far it should extend into Syria and who should control it.
(Production: Omer Berberoglu, Yesim Dikmen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None