- Title: Military parade marks 5th anniversary of self-proclaimed LPR's armed forces
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PARADE VISITOR, VITALIY, SAYING: "I liked everything, I like the military hardware. My daughter took lots of photo with it and wants more." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN AND MILITARY HARDWARE PEOPLE WALKING AT ENTRANCE TO PARK
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 18:51
- Keywords: Crisis in Ukraine Luhansk LPR eastern Ukraine army tanks
- Location: LUHANSK, UKRAINE
- City: LUHANSK, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA003AZYLKCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Armed forces of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) celebrated the fifth anniversary of its creation with a military parade on Sunday (October 6).
Military hardware and soldiers marched past parade visitors in the Luhansk airport area, which saw intense fighting between Ukrainian army and pro-Russian separatists in 2014.
Kiev's forces have been battling pro-Russian separatists in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions of eastern Ukraine since 2014, in a conflict that has claimed more than 13,000 lives. Sporadic fighting continues despite a ceasefire agreement reached in the Belarus capital Minsk in 2015.
In the first breakthrough towards a possible peace deal in years, envoys from Moscow and Kiev agreed at talks on Tuesday (October 1) on an election schedule for the Donbass region and on legislation giving it special status. Ukraine also agreed to call back its forces from the current contact line with separatist fighters.
(Production: Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None