- Title: Climate change activists plant trees outside UK parliament
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) TREE BRANCHES WITH PARLIAMENT IN BACKGROUND CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS PLACING POTTED TREES OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT / SCIENCE PRESENTER AND CAMPAIGNER MATTHEW SHRIBMAN, WHO HELPED ORGANISE PROTEST, INTERACTING WITH BABY BABY CRAWLING BY POTTED TREES CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST PLACING TREES OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS WRITING NAMES OF BRITISH LAWMAKERS ON LABELS ACTIVIST WRITING 'BORIS JOHNSON' ON LABEL SHRIBMAN STANDING AMONG TREES (SOUNDBITE) (English) SCIENCE PRESENTER AND CAMPAIGNER, MATTHEW SHRIBMAN, SAYING: "Tree planting is our most effective climate change solution to date and it's so straight forward as well. We've got three trillion trees on the planet which is more than stars in the galaxy. Sounds like a lot but we need a trillion more to absorb just the last ten years worth of emissions."
- Keywords: Exinction Rebellion climate change activists plant trees Exinction Rebellion tree protest London climante change action Matthew Shirbman
- Reuters ID: LVA001B08MP1J
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Environment,Editors' Choice,Climate Politics
- Story Text: Climate change activists placed hundreds of trees outside the British parliament on Tuesday (October 8) to call on the government and members of parliament to plant billions of trees across the UK and support the planting of trillions all over the world.
Event organisers said some 800 potted native trees, many dedicated to lawmakers who were asked to collect them, were placed outside the parliament building.
Science presenter and campaigner, Matthew Shribman, who helped organise the protest, said that the action was to call on lawmakers to commit to planting "billions" of trees.
"Tree planting is our most effective climate change solution to date," he said. "We want the MPs to take these trees and use it as the beginning of their commitment to plant billions of trees."
On Monday, the Extinction Rebellion group took action in several countries including Britain, Germany, Austria, Australia, France and New Zealand as they lobby politicians to go further in cutting carbon emissions.
The protests are the latest stage in a global campaign for tougher and swifter steps against climate change coordinated by the group, which rose to prominence in April when it snarled traffic in central London for 11 days.
(Production: Will Russell, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd October 2019 14:52
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None