- Title: Nepal gears up to welcome Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Nepali) KATHMANDU RESIDENT, BHANU ACHARYA, SAYING: "China is our neighbor and President Xi (Jinping) coming to Nepal is a natural and a welcome step. Both countries should jointly work to resolve issues through mutual talks." VARIOUS OF BANNER READING (English and Mandarin): "LONG LIVE NEPAL-CHINA FRIENDSHIP" VARIOUS OF ARMED SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING IN FRONT OF BANNER VEHICLES PASSING THROUGH WELCOME GATE WORKERS PLACING FLOWER POTS ALONG THE ROAD/FLOWER POTS XI'S PHOTO OUTSIDE AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 16:56
- Keywords: Nepal Xi Jinping China Kathmandu Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Location: KATHMANDU, NEPAL
- City: KATHMANDU, NEPAL
- Country: Nepal
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B0NN3GV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nepal's capital Kathmandu was decorated with welcome arches and pavements were cleared on Friday (October 11) as the Himalayan kingdom prepares to welcome Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Xi is due to arrive on Saturday (October 12) from India after an informal meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Shortly after his arrival, Xi will meet his Nepalese counterpart Bidhya Devi Bhandari and later attend a banquet hosted by her.
Kathmandu's streets have been festooned with flags and welcome arches and lamp posts bearing the photographs of the two presidents along the route from airport to hotel. Security has been tightened and the movement of public along the route restricted.
Xi will meet Nepalese Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli on Sunday (October 13) and leave for China the same day.
China has been building infrastructure in Nepal along with other South Asian countries as part of Xi's signature Belt and Road Initiative, raising disquiet in India which long saw countries such as Nepal as part of its sphere of influence.
(CAMERAMAN: YUBARAJ SHARMA, PRODUCTION: SAGAR ADHIKARI)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None