- Title: Nepal gears up to welcome Chinese President Xi Jinping
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: PHOTO OF XI PHOTO OF BHANDARI
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 16:56
- Keywords: Nepal Xi Jinping China Kathmandu Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Location: KATHMANDU, NEPAL
- City: KATHMANDU, NEPAL
- Country: Nepal
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0NN3GV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nepal's capital Kathmandu was decorated with welcome arches and pavements were cleared on Friday (October 11) as the Himalayan kingdom prepares to welcome Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Xi is due to arrive on Saturday (October 12) from India after an informal meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Shortly after his arrival, Xi will meet his Nepalese counterpart Bidhya Devi Bhandari and later attend a banquet hosted by her.
Kathmandu's streets have been festooned with flags and welcome arches and lamp posts bearing the photographs of the two presidents along the route from airport to hotel. Security has been tightened and the movement of public along the route restricted.
Xi will meet Nepalese Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli on Sunday (October 13) and leave for China the same day.
China has been building infrastructure in Nepal along with other South Asian countries as part of Xi's signature Belt and Road Initiative, raising disquiet in India which long saw countries such as Nepal as part of its sphere of influence.
(CAMERAMAN: YUBARAJ SHARMA, PRODUCTION: SAGAR ADHIKARI)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.