- Title: Turkish incursion into Syria an 'invasion of Arab land': Arab league
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ARAB LEAGUE EMERGENCY MEETING IN SESSION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE ARAB LEAGUE, AHMED ABOUL GHEIT, ON TURKISH INCURSION INTO SYRIA, SAYING: "It only has one name, which is invasion and aggression. An invasion of the land of an Arab country, and an aggression on its sovereignty. It is a condemned invasion, which must not be overlooked in the world. No matter the pretexts given by the invader, the aggression remain an aggression. One that is refused, condemned, standing outside the legitimacies and rules of international law." ARAB LEAGUE EMERGENCY MEETING IN SESSION
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 14:04
- Keywords: Turkish incursion offensive Arab League invasion Syria Arab land
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0SJR5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Saturday (October 12) called Turkey's military operation in northeast Syria an "invasion" of an Arab country and an act of aggression on its sovereignty.
Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamed Ali Alhakim, president of the current Arab League session, condemned Turkey's offensive into Syria during an emergency meeting for the body, called by Egypt. He called on the League to reinstate Syria's membership in the body.
Turkey opened its offensive after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday (October 6) with Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan and withdrew U.S. troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None