- Title: Madrid residents call for justice in case of Catalan separatist leaders
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: POSTCARD RACK AT NEWSPAPER KIOSK
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 07:00
- Keywords: Catalonia independence Spain's Supreme court veredict jailed catalan separatist leaders
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005B12IQFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As Spain's Supreme Court was expected to announce on Monday (October 14) its highly-anticipated verdict in the trial of 12 Catalan separatist leaders over their role in the region's 2017 banned independence drive, residents in Madrid had mixed feelings over the imminent ruling.
Some hoped the verdict would not escalate tensions and others where clear they wanted all those on trial to serve prison sentences because they had violated the constitution.
Much is at stake, both for Spain and for its wealthiest region in this trial over a failed independence bid that attracted worldwide attention, triggered Spain's biggest political crisis in decades and unnerved financial markets.
Secessionist groups have called for massive but peaceful civil disobedience if the 12 - nine of them have been in pre-trial detention for close to two years - are not acquitted.
It is still unclear how much support such protests may get and whether the promise of peaceful demonstrations holds.
(Production: Michael Gore, Silvio Castellanos, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None