- Title: RSF condemns Turkish strike that killed journalist in Syria
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: SCREEN SHOWING REPORTERS WITHOUT BORDERS WEBSITE WITH SECTION ON FREEDOM OF PRESS IN SYRIA
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 10:40
- Keywords: Syria Turkey air strike journalists Reporters Without Borders RSF press freedom
- Location: SAID TO BE BETWEEN CIZIRE AND SEREKANIYE, SYRIA / PARIS, FRANCE
- City: SAID TO BE BETWEEN CIZIRE AND SEREKANIYE, SYRIA / PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA003B12LHZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) on Monday (October 14) condemned a Turkish airstrike in Syria that they say left one Kurdish journalist dead and injured eight other reporters.
The attack on a convoy in the northeastern Syrian town of Ras Al Ain on Sunday killed a total of 14 people, including five civilians, and wounded 10 others, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
It hit a gathering of civilians who had come to from the city of Qamishli to show their support for Ras Al Ain as it is targeted by Turkish forces attacking Kurdish-led forces in northern Syria.
Reporters without Borders spokeswoman Pauline Mevel said although the attack did not directly target journalists, it still infringed on freedom of the press on the ground.
(Production: Antony Paone, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.