- Title: Mexico offers protection to six people at its embassy in Ecuador
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: QUITO, ECUADOR (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF MEXICAN EMBASSY IN QUITO
- Embargoed: 29th October 2019 23:06
- Keywords: Mexico embassy Quito President Lenin Moreno protests Ecuador
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B17MSEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Mexican embassy in Ecuador's capital Quito has offered protection and shelter to six people, including legislators and their spouses, Mexico's foreign ministry said on Monday (October 14).
The embassy on Saturday (October 12) offered protection and shelter to opposition legislator Gabriela Rivadeneira, a member of the party of former Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa, whose allies have been accused of stirring up unrest by President Lenin Moreno.
Moreno on Monday scrapped a law to cut expensive fuel subsidies after days of violent protests against the IMF-backed measure, returning fuel prices to prior levels until a new measure can be found.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None