- Title: U.S. to pull last troops from north Syria; Syrian army to redeploy on border
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: KOBANI, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM SURUC, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) OUTSKIRTS OF TOWN OF KOBANI AND BUILDINGS AND TOWER THAT USED TO BE PART OF A U.S. BASE WHERE U.S. FORCES ARE SAID TO HAVE PULLED OUT OF RECENTLY BUILDINGS THAT USED TO HOUSE U.S. BASE TOWER BUILDING BUILDINGS IN THE TOWN VARIOUS OF THE TOWN AND THE HILLS BEHIND
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 06:32
- Keywords: Syria Turkey military operation U.S. troops in Syria Trump sanctions U.S. base 1000 troops
- Location: KOBANI, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM SURUC, TURKEY)
- City: KOBANI, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM SURUC, TURKEY)
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12HWEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkish forces pressed on with their offensive against Kurdish militants in northeastern Syria on Monday (October 14), as the United States said it will withdraw its remaining troops in the region while Syria's army geared to redeploy along its border with Turkey, in a move that could cause wider conflagration in the region.
Turkey launched its offensive last week after U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw some 50 special operations forces from two outposts in northern Syria, in a move that drew sharp criticism, including from his fellow Republicans.
Video footage filmed from Turkish side of the border showed the Syrian town of Kobani which was home to a U.S. base to be largely deserted including what used to be the buildings used by U.S. forces.
The United States said on Sunday (October 13) it will withdraw its remaining 1,000 troops from northern Syria in the face of an expanding Turkish offensive while Syria's army struck a deal with Kurdish forces to redeploy along its border with Turkey, both major victories for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Omer Berberoglu, Ayat Basma)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None