- Title: England made a big statement against racist abuse, says Southgate
- Date: 15th October 2019
- Summary: SOFIA, BULGARIA (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** START OF ENGLAND NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND MANAGER, GARETH SOUTHGATE, SAYING: "When I've talked to the players at the end, I think they still feel that, they've been able to make a statement. But they also naturally, because they want to be recognized for their football, they were playing so well that they didn't want to leave the pitch at that moment as well and I'm sure that would have part of their thinking. So, I'm incredibly proud of all the players and all of the staff. Of course, we could be criticised for not going far enough, but I think we've made a huge statement and frankly, we were in an impossible situation to get it right to the satisfaction of everybody." JOURNALISTS IN ATTENDANCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND MANAGER, GARETH SOUTHGATE, SAYING: "Sadly, my players, because of their experiences in our own country, are hardened to racism. And I don't know what that says about our society but that's the reality. So that actually saddens me that when I speak to them about it, they are absolutely hardened to it. So, they are actually in the dressing smiling because they've played so well. They also know they've made a statement. And they want the focus to be on the football. We all recognize that there's been an opportunity tonight to raise awareness of this issue. I think that has happened. But Raheem's got the ump with me for taking him off when he's on a hat-trick." JOURNALISTS CAMERAMAN (SOUNDBITE) (Bulgarian) BULGARIA COACH, KRASIMIR BALAKOV, SAYING: "This topic (racism) started to be discussed when we played in London. Until this moment it totally replaced the football. Of course, this is an extremely important topic, not only for Bulgaria, but for England and for all nations. I am for strong punishment, if this thing exists, but it also has to be proved. If it is not proved, it is speculation." JOURNALISTS CAMERAMAN END OF BULGARIAN NEWS CONFERENCE SOFIA, BULGARIA (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ENGLISH FANS CHANTING DURING THE MATCH, SOME CHANTS CONTAIN PROFANE LANGUAGE
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 23:47
- Keywords: England Three Lions Bulgaria racism monkey chants racial abuse Euro 2020 qualifier
- Location: SOFIA, BULGARIA
- City: SOFIA, BULGARIA
- Country: Bulgaria
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12MY4F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
England made a significant statement against racism by beating Bulgaria 6-0 in a Euro 2020 qualifier that was twice halted by the referee after abuse of the visiting players, manager Gareth Southgate said on Tuesday (October 15).
The match in Sofia was a high-profile implementation of a three-step protocol from European soccer's governing body UEFA designed to tackle racist abuse from the crowd.
England centre-back Tyrone Mings, who was making his senior debut and brought Southgate's attention to the first incident after being targeted, said the players had made a collective decision to continue after halftime.
(Production: Miroslav Roussinov, Stefan Haskins, Kurt Michael Hall)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None