- Title: Embattled Carrie Lam stages first Facebook live after assembly chaos
- Date: 17th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BOAT SAILING / HONG KONG SKYLINE (NIGHT SHOT) HONG KONG SKYLINE (NIGHT SHOT) LOGO OF CHINESE PEOPLE'S LIBERATION ARMY HONG KONG BUILDING (NIGHT SHOT) VARIOUS RIOT POLICE OFFICERS WALKING INTO BUILDING (NIGHT SHOT) PEOPLE QUEUING AT BUS STATION VARIOUS COUPLE LOOKING AT PHONE PHONE SCREEN SHOWING LAM SPEAKING DURING HER FACEBOOK LIVE (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, ADRIAN YIU, SAYING: "Personally, I feel like, more like angry than disappointed at her because of her acts towards the current situation in Hong Kong. She is not, actually I think she is the only one who could solve the current situation in Hong Kong and yet she is not doing things to mend the society back and not solving the problem. She is bringing more hate into the society instead of helping the society go back to its own track." PHONE SCREEN SHOWING LAM'S FACEBOOK LIVE SESSION (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, SHELDON WAI, SAYING: "She's done live television broadcast before but just seeing her face kind of disgusts me. So, instead of watching her live I would rather read about it in other news broadcast, etc. So, I don't even want to see her face." PEDESTRIANS IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, SHELDON WAI, SAYING: "Well, it's disappointed because right at the beginning of it, she's saying all problems in Hong Kong that caused by protesters, it's not my (Carrie Lam's) fault and blah, blah, blah. Most of the things that she address were all housing and the economic stuff. There's nothing that has to do with the five demands or the democratic changes that people have been asking for. So it's like she's trying to play the money card, to try to use the money to cover up all your voices, which is pretty much what mainland Chinese try to do to the world. So, it's like, we're Hong Kong, we're not mainland China." VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON ROAD
- Embargoed: 31st October 2019 15:05
- Keywords: Hong Kong China facebook live Carrie Lam protest police address
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B1HH9ON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong's chief executive Carrie Lam staged a Facebook Live on Thursday (October 17) to discuss her annual policy speech and answer pre-submitted questions.
Lam was forced to cut short her address in the assembly due to heckling, as lawmakers demanded an inquiry into an attack on a human rights activist.
After 30 minutes of the one hour live video event, 5,700 "angry" emojis had been posted compared with 1,300 "likes".
Lam offered no olive branch to protesters in her policy speech, but sought to ease resentment by announcing measures to ease Hong Kong's chronic housing shortage that has partly fuelled protests.
(Production: Fabian Hamacher, Xihao Jiang, Joyce Zhou, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None