- Title: Protesters express their frustration, block roads in southern Lebanon
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: PEOPLE GATHERING WITH SOME WAVING FLAG OF LEBANON AND MUSIC PLAYING
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 15:39
- Keywords: Lebanon protests Lebanon unrest protests in South Lebanon Lebanese protesters
- Location: SIDON AND NEAR SIDON, AND HBOUSH AND NEAR HBOUSH, LEBANON
- City: SIDON AND NEAR SIDON, AND HBOUSH AND NEAR HBOUSH, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA004B1MLQO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters burned tyres and blocked roads across southern Lebanese towns on Friday (October 18), as protests grip the Mediterranean country for the second day in a row.
Protesters blocked the main highway in Sidon and burned tyres outside the home of Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.
In the southern town of Hboush, crowds chanted for the "downfall of the regime".
Among the protesters was father of six, Hassan Abo Hashem, who said he was protesting for his children and other people's children.
He said youth across Lebanon and from all sects are struggling to find job opportunities, expressing his distrust toward officials, who he said were only working to please their leaders.
The demonstrations came as economists, investors and rating agencies warned that indebted Lebanon's economy and graft-entrenched financial system is closer to the brink than any time since the war-torn 1980s.
The nationwide protests, Lebanon's biggest in years, brought ordinary people from all sects and walks of life to the streets. Across the country, protesters chanted in unison for their country's top leaders to step down.
(Production: Hassan Hankir, Hend Kortam)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.