- Title: European Union leaders gather for a second day in Brussels
- Date: 18th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 18, 2019) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) BELGIAN PRIME MINISTER CHARLES MICHEL, GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SPANISH PRIME MINISTER PEDRO SANCHEZ, FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON AND DUTCH PRIME MINISTER MARK RUTTE SEATED AT TABLE / CROATIAN PRIME MINISTER ANDREJ PLENKOVIC AT TABLE MERKEL AT MEETING MACRON AT MEETING / MERKEL, SANCHEZ AND MACRON AT MEETING EUROPEAN COMMISSION PRESIDENT-DESIGNATE URSULA VON DER LEYEN AT MEETING / LEADERS AT MEETING, WITH PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER ANTONIO COSTA, PLENKOVIC AND LATVIAN PRIME MINISTER KRISJANIS KARINS KARINS ENTERING MEETING PLENKOVIC ENTERING MEETING COSTA ENTERING MEETING
- Embargoed: 1st November 2019 07:22
- Keywords: EU summit German Chancellor Angela Merkel French President Emmanuel Macron
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1MK8XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several other European Union leaders met for a working breakfast on Friday (October 18) before joining their other EU counterparts for a second day of a summit.
On Thursday, a bid by Balkan countries North Macedonia and Albania to join the European Union suffered a serious setback after a group of EU leaders led by Macron refused to allow them to start membership talks.
On Friday, leaders were expected to discuss a new budget plan that could allow the bloc to spend up to 1.1 trillion euros ($1.2 trillion) in the 2021-2027 period, but deep divisions among governments could block a deal for months.
(Production Christian Levaux, Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None